High torque electric powertrains
The TM4 SUMOTM systems are designed to interface directly with standard differentials and/or gearboxes and/or e-axles. It makes this series perfect for class 2 to 8 commercial vehicles and light- to medium-duty bus platforms.
This series consists of a combinations of high-torque/low-speed reluctance-assisted permanent magnet motor and controller that offer cost-effective solutions for vehicle electrification or hybridization.
«With their superior efficiency, performance, competitive price and maintenance-free lifecycle, the TM4 SUMO powertrains are enabling our customers to get a faster ROI. »
Burak Onur, Technology Manager at TEMSA Global.
- Reluctance-assisted permanent magnet motor
- Outer rotor topology or inner rotor topology for maximum torque density
- High torque and power density
- Low electro-magnetic audible noise
- Low-cogging and ripple torque for better NVH
- Four-quadrant operation
- Double-ended shaft option
- Thermal protection
Available in a variety of configurations
TM4 SUMO motors and inverters are avaiable in a variety of configurations:
- As direct-drive systems
- As part of Spicer Electrified with TM4 e-Axles
The direct-drive advantage
Increase your powertrain efficiency by 10%
TM4 SUMO high torque motors can interface directly with standard rear differential without the need for an intermediate gearbox. A direct drive system allows for the following benefits:
- Higher efficiency: a transmission can be responsible for approximately 5 to 10 % energy losses inside the powertrain due to mechanical friction
- Better reliability: removing the gearbox means removing the most mechanically complex and maintenance intensive part of the vehicle
- Easy to fit between the H beam of the truck or in the engine bay of the city bus: no need to modify the vehicle architecture
- Lower maintenance: TM4 direct-drive motors require no maintenance
- Faster ROI
Widely adopted solution
Having cumulated more than 350 million kilometers on road, TM4 SUMO drive systems are proven, optimized and tailored to real road conditions. These powertrains have reached a high level of maturity though many cycles of optimization based on customer feedback and preferences.
- City buses
- Commercial vehicles
- Off-highway & marine